Friday, February 11, 2011

My Wife Is Where?

Today, February 11, 2011, has been a wonderful Friday. I woke up early at about 6 to my wife rustling around. She was packing her bags. Two cousins of mine were on their way to this house that was not even a thought of my mind yet, the house that is. On my mind was the beautiful gale that I shared this room with. She was present and absent as I drifted in and out of sleep. Also thinking about the warmth of my bed, and how I despised the cool air that was seeping into the slightest gap between the sheets and covers, and my neck. The last thought found enough space to squeeze in was the amount of time I would need to get up to feel prepared for the anatomy quiz that was going to come fast this morning.

It was my sisters wedding shower this same day, and this is why Desiree was packing. The two cousins were on their way to pick her up, so they could drive around Michigan lake to Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin.

The cousins must have arrived because I was hearing the joy of laugher coming through the uninsulated floor boards of the room next over. I started to roll out of bed, and Desiree said, "what are you doing? Why are you getting up so yearly?"
A complete unthought out piece of morning logic spilled out of my mouth as I said, "there is just too much fun happing up stairs for me to be sleeping." The truth that I should have said is that I needed to get up any ways to start studying for my test.

I hugged my cousin Katelyn, and they Liana, and sat down at the dinner table to wake up. I watched what to seem to be a whirl wind happening around me until I heard goodbye. I walked over to my wife and kissed her good bye.

The mid part of the day happened. Nothing really special. School was good. The quiz was alright. I then met my parents at McDonnell's so we could car pool to a winter sports event that a Lutheran Financial company could try to make their clients feel like they are in a cub. I really do not understand it past that. It was very nice though. I really did not want to go, but I had nothing better to do. Plus my parents were paying my way for selling something on Craigslist for them. For some reason I was bitter cold all day, and the last thing that I wanted to do was be out in the snow all night. I was trying to keep a good attitude.

There we were at the both paying for our wrist band. The guy behind the table asked if I wanted to go luging. I was not really in the mood of doing anything, but since my dad said that he was going, I decided to go with him. I did not know it at the time, but I think that I was a little scared. I just kept thinking about that Olympian that went head first into that column and saw his last. The reason why I kept thinking about it was because the first time my dad had gone luging it was the day after that exact event. I don't know what was going on in his head. Maybe he was thinking, wow that is really a dangerous sport, I need something exciting in my life, so lets give it a try?

I was standing there and shivering as I was taking my lesson to go down this frozen water side on a sled. I learned that one of the most important parts is that on the turns you want to come out of them a little early and even out your sled before the track goes into the strait shoot. I also learned that you never want to let go of your sled, because rolling around with a sled with sharp metal edges, is not the way to go. We geared up with a sled, helmet, and elbow pads and started up the slipper stairs to the top. Our top was only half way up. That is were you start and only the pros do the whole track. My dad went first and down he went. I put my sled on the ice, and got into position. Waiting to hear the voice over the intercom that the track was cleared, I did not hear a thing. This is when I heard behind me that this is the part where they are picking up the body parts of my dad. That was a nice thing hear right before I was voluntarily giving my life over to this frozen water park ride. Starring at the curve ahead of me I was trying to decide how I would take the turn. Then I heard the voice. "The track is cleared the male voice projected down at me. The moment had come. I took a practice pull, and shoot my self down into the shoot. I hit the first brim, shoot down the second, hit the third, I braked, and kicked the stopper. The same man's voice announced a score in the 16 seconds and that it was the best time for the day so far. It was such a rush. It was so quick, and you only have a couple of seconds to think about each turn. I felt pretty good about it, but felt like I did not do to much to steer the sled and wanted a another try to smash the score. I headed up for the top again. This time I pumped the bars like the pros. I shoot down into the first turn. Oh boy I was smooth. I hit the second, but was going a lot faster this time. I tried to get out of the turn, and came across the track almost hitting the one side. I headed into the third turn, and felt myself turning this time, but maybe feeling myself turn the sled is not what I wanted. I came too low too early and at the end I rode high. I came down into the last shoot, hit the side, and lost the sled. I grabbed my sled with all I had, but ended up turning side ways, and almost barrel rolled. Oh boy. I pulled out of it safe, but it was a close one. I am not hooked to luging.

I headed with the parents to eat some food, and go cross country skiing. We were really having a great time. I was feeling warmer, and I was really glad that I had come. It was such a beautiful night, and the snow was coming down ever so softly. There was only one regret that I had, and it was that my wife was not there to experience it with me, and have such a great time with my parents.

After the fun we headed home and rented a movie. I sat with the folks, and relaxed watching the movie RED. When it was finished, my parents went upstairs and went to bed.

There I was. Alone. I was missing Desiree. I was taking the pillows off the bed and putting them in the place where my organized and routine wife tells me to put them time after time, when I don't listen. I laid the first blanket down and the second, just like she likes them. I pulled the covers down, slid in, and pulled them up and tight over me. I said, " Good night Desiree. I love you."

3 comments:

  1. I love you darling!! This just made me tear up a little. It makes me never wanna leave you though and thats not fare! ;) You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this was way too cute. AND I can't believe you went luging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam!!! Luging would be soooo fun!! I didn't know there was stuff like that out there in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete